Lies employers tell prospects Why? and what it all means.

I read an article posted on a business networking website that referred to employers lying to prospective employees to bring on talent that may not otherwise be interested if not have the proverbial smoke blown up their you know what.
Unfortunately this is very true.  I myself and many people I have known have  gotten promises like this only to be hired and let down.  I learned after the first time and have never trusted employers since.
What I would like to address are several items in the article that I believe weren't quite right or at least should have included more or better guidance.

The first item was that " employers do this to attract or entice talent, in a dwindling pool of talented people"
The problem with this statement is although that may be true,  What exactly is Talent?  I think that the bigger problem is that employers don't have a clue what talent is,  applications and resumes are now processed by computer questions and key word generated "choices"  as an example my colleagues and I jokingly applied for our own jobs and were sent denial emails.  I have since spoke to multiple people who had similar scenarios. I could keep going on this subject but I'll save that for another article.

The second item stated that "employers who are typically in trouble do this to attract people who can correct a problem".  This is also true, however once again this falls on the employer who should be seeking someone like myself to infiltrate the departments as a worker to find out what the real problem is, and typically it's middle management, you know, the barely qualified, do what they need to do to just keep their job and got promoted but have no clue how to properly manage people,  or managers who are so tied up with reports and numbers they can't manage.  Basically the companies are most likely hiring the wrong positions.

The article did pose questions for job seekers to ask prospective employers in order to call them out on their own BS which was great!

Finally and most importantly for the employer.  If you are making promises that can't be delivered or most likely won't be it can destroy you.
When these promises are not met, Jobs were different than what they originally seemed or that the expectations change employees became not only complacent, but angry and upset that their promises of a bright future were not true and for all intensive purposes they got scammed.  I am sure you can guess what happens they become stressed, can't focus on their work, look for other jobs, sabotage the company or other people, stop performing etc.  If you were already having issues this will only intensify them.  not only will you lose that employee, but others that may have been happy or more beneficial.  The disgruntled employee will attempt to "destroy" others futures since they had there seemingly destroyed.
you will definitely start noticing complaints about others, like; bob is too loud, I was threatened,  Jane's violating the dress code and so on.
In some instances I've seen people like this use others to do their work for them, while cutting down others in order to get themselves promoted and fullfill their career dream regardless of other people or the company, and what you have then is someone you have created that absolutely does not belong in a management position.

Comments